Each year, more and more southern Illinoisans experience breathing related problems. With the increase in asthma, emphysema, lung cancer and COPD, Physicians, assisted by the Registered Respiratory Therapist, are working harder than ever to diagnose and treat those who suffer from chronic breathing problems. Sparta Community Hospital’s Pulmonary Services Department offers a full range of testing to help your physician best determine how to treat your particular problem.
These tests include:
- Pulmonary function tests (PFT) – Evening hours are offered on Mondays until 6pm
- Home Oxygen evaluation testing
- Inpatient overnight pulse oximetry
Along with these tests the following services are also available to help treat pulmonary problems:
- Smoking cessation
- Ventilator services
- Acapella treatments
- Lung disease education
- Metered dose inhaler (MDI)
- Pulse Oximeter
- Education for asthma, emphysema, and other lung diseases
- Education for the correct use of all respiratory equipment, metered dose inhalers (MOI), nebulizer and oxygen
Our new respiratory Screening technology provides more patient comfort:
Sparta Community Hospital now offers the Platinum Elite Plethysmograph system for pulmonary function testing.
- Sturdy metal seat with no weight capacity.
- More knee and foot room to accommodate larger and tall patients.
- Safe and simple “turn and sit” entry to the box with no need to “step-up.”
- Molded elbow rests.
- Patient always faces technologist to help with communication and understanding.
- Test wheelchair patients outside of box.
- ˚Wheelchair patients can be very easily transferred into the box.
Patients breathe more normally when they are in a relaxed, pleasant testing environment. If patients are comfortable, that means that you will get more accurate testing results.
Mondays: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.