The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) requires that all patients scheduled for surgical procedures will be screened and tested for COVID-19. Specimens must be obtained within 72-hours prior to the procedure, and the patient must self-quarantine until they are scheduled to arrive at the hospital.
No appointment is required for pre-op COVID-19 testing. Patients must arrive to Customer Service at Sparta Community Hospital on the day and time indicated below for COVID-19 testing three days prior to scheduled procedure.
This means, if the surgical procedure is scheduled for:
- Monday, the patient must be tested for COVID-19 on Friday, before 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, the patient must be tested for COVID-19 on Saturday, 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, the patient must be tested for COVID-19 on Sunday, before 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, the patient must be tested for COVID-19 on Monday, before 11:00 a.m.
- Friday, the patient must be tested for COVID-19 on Tuesday, before 11:00 a.m.
Patients scheduled for colonoscopies: The patient will be contacted by a member of the Surgery Department by 4:00 p.m. on the day, prior to your procedure. If the test result has not been received by 4:00 p.m., the procedure will be rescheduled. Patients SHOULD NOT start colonoscopy prep before being contacted by surgery staff.
All other procedures, including EGD’s: The patient will be notified by the Surgery Department at Sparta Community Hospital with the test result by 8:30 p.m. on the evening prior to the scheduled procedure. If the test comes back positive for COVID-19, the surgery will be cancelled, and the patient will be referred back to their primary care provider. If the COVID-19 test result is not received by 8:30 p.m. the evening prior to the scheduled procedure, the patient will be notified and the procedure will be rescheduled.
In order for staff to contact the patient with COVID-19 test results and/or procedure cancellations, it is crucial that Sparta Community Hospital has a good phone number to reach the patient, and that the patient answers the call.
For additional information, or for clarification on any of the above, patients may call the Sparta Community Hospital Surgery Department at 618-443-1336.
Sparta Community Hospital is restricting visitation to all patients.
Exceptions to each of the department specific restrictions will be made in the case of
- compassionate situations, such as end of life care. Decisions about visitation during an end of life situation, and/or declining conditions, will be made on a case by case basis, and will include careful screening of the visitor;
- support individuals for patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD). The support person may be a guardian, family member, caregiver, or paid support worker, and essential precautions must be taken to contain the spread of infection; and
- pediatric patients, who will continue to be allowed one parent or guardian with them.